The Union Gospel Press - Tremont Place Lofts
178,000 square feet
103 residential units
7,500 square feet commercial space
$23,000,000
Completed December 2010
2013
Voted The Best Apartment Complex in Cleveland!
Scene Magazine
2011
Nominee, Best Adaptive Reuse for Multifamily
The National Historic Trust
2010
Best Adaptive Reuse of an Older Structure
The Cleveland Restoration Society
2010
Best Adaptive Reuse of an Older Structure
The Cleveland Chapter, American Institute of Architecture
2010
Best Adaptive Reuse for Multifamily
Heritage Ohio
The union Gospel Press is a 178,000 square foot complex of historic buildings in the Tremont Historic District in Cleveland.

The UGP complex consists of a total of 15 buildings, generally in the Jacobethan Collegiate style, all interconnected with varying characteristics from building to building and floor to floor. The interior plan is an intricate labyrinth of corridors, stairwells, and common areas meandering throughout the facility. The buildings were mostly vacant for the twenty years preceding start of JERA's rehabilitation project.

The original building was a university, dating to the 1850's. Subsequently there have been a variety of occupants and additions.
The majority of the complex was built by the Gospel Workers Society from 1900 to 1940, a group of cloistered Mennonite women dedicated to publishing Christian literature and songbooks. Their ascetic and withdrawn lifestyle contributed to the enigmatic nature of the complex of buildings.

The building complex fills two urban acres in a neighborhood that was once an eastern European enclave of worker housing for nearby industry. The neighborhood maintains its ethnic roots and provides a backdrop of turn-or-the-century housing punctuated by soaring steeples and schools that were the social centers of that era. The neighborhood today has evolved into a colorful mix of artists, galleries, small shops, and some of the best restaurants and cafes in Cleveland.